A Princess’s First Ball

 

My first ever dance. The beloved daddy daughter dance. I vividly recall getting my hair and nails done for the first time ever and feeling like a real life princess. As my thin, short hair was whipped into elegant curls and my small, stubby nails were painted pink with purple polka-dots (per my request), the fantasy started to come to life. I remember picking out a certain dress for the special occasion, from the many in my closet, and of course, it had to be pink. My outfit was completed with a cute, cream cardigan my mom picked out, and a matching pink wand was the cherry on top. And just like that, a princess was ready for her first ball.


This was such a special moment for me. It was the first time I had ever gotten all dolled up and believed I could be just as beautiful and brave as a princess from one of the many fairytales I loved. I also believe this single preschool dance was what first sparked my love of dance to date. A few years after this picture was taken, I requested to enroll in dance classes, which I have been taking for 10 years now and advancing many levels in. As a kid, I hated when my parents took pictures of me and saw it as almost an inconvenience. But now, looking back at these special memories when I was unconditionally happy and naive, I am grateful to my parents for capturing these treasured moments. 




Comments

  1. This is so cute, Ingrid! I love how you chose a photo tied to such a meaningful memory and reflected on its importance to you now! I also hated having pictures taken of me when I was little, but I'm so appreciative of them now that I'm older. It's always funny to look back at an old photo of yourself and see how much you've changed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who also went to a “daddy daughter dance” as a child, I can totally relate to this experience. It was such a magical moment and even though I can't remember most of it, the pictures I have will always be there to remind me. I also loved the title of this blog, it is such a great analogy for what this event meant as a young girl. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He Love Me, He Loves Me Not

Acknowledgments

4 Reasons Why People Hate Poetry