An Ode to High School

As the end of high school creeps up, I would like to take a moment to acknowledge the highlights of these four years that I have repeatedly claimed to hate, but am forever indebted to. 


First and foremost, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to my friends. I came into high school with a group of friends, made some and lost some along the way, but I’m leaving high school with many of the same friends that I plan to keep close for a lifetime. Thank you for making sure that I will never be alone. Thank you for always being there whenever I need it. Thank you for always finding a way to make me smile. Thank you for the endless support in everything that I do. Thank you for pushing me to be my best and forgiving me when I’m not. 


Next, I would like to say thank you to The Stranger and Albert Camus. Thank you for introducing me to the concept of existentialism and allowing me to explore the purpose of my life. Thank you for showing me that we create purpose in our own lives and that we should be mindful of every choice that we make. Thank you for reminding me that I am the one who creates my future. 


Thank you to Panera and the Troy Public Library for holding so many memorable moments. Thank you for giving me an escape when the confinement of my own bedroom is too distracting. Thank you for being the hotspot for a collaborative group study session or even just a comfortable place for a good group cry session. 


Lastly, I would like to thank Wolly and Mrs. Clark— two teachers I will never forget and always try to keep in touch with. Thank you Wol for being the best teacher, advisor, and friend that I could ask for. Thank you for teaching me so much and sparking my interest in something I never would have imagined I would enjoy. Thank you for going above and beyond to make me feel comfortable, to make me laugh, to listen to me. Thank you Mrs. Clark for teaching me that my voice matters. Thank you for believing in the shy 9th grader who has blossomed into an obnoxious 12th grader. Thank you for caring about me and leading by the best example. 


Obviously, there are so many more people, things, moments that I am sincerely grateful for. But for now, these are the ones that have shaped me into the person I am today. I came into high school with no idea who I was or what I wanted to do, and as I leave, I can confidently say that although I am still not certain and may never be, I have worked to find myself a little bit more everyday.


7,760 Thank You Heart Cliparts, Stock Vector and Royalty Free Thank You  Heart Illustrations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Love Me, He Loves Me Not

Acknowledgments

4 Reasons Why People Hate Poetry