I Want A Husband

 

I want a husband who will take care of me. A husband with movie-star looks and a great sense of humor. I want a husband who takes me out to date-night every Friday and constantly sweeps me off my feet. A husband who doesn’t stare at other beautiful women on the street and is loyal to me. I want a breadwinner, a go-getter. I want a husband who makes at least 6 figures, so my family will be taken care of. This way we can buy a house big enough to fit me, my baggage, and my closet! I want a husband with a steady job, but one who doesn’t travel too much and makes time for me and the kids. I want him to be a great father, of course, to make up for the times I am not always a great mother. I want someone who will discipline the kids, but also have fun with them. Someone who takes them to the park and pushes them on the swings. A father who will give his daughter his ice-cream cone when she drops hers. I want someone who is loving and affectionate, but also knows when to leave me alone. Since I am a woman, I will obviously have mood swings, but my husband won’t. I need someone who will hold down the fort when I am at Pilates or out at lunch with the girls. I want a chivalrous husband. Someone who will hold doors for me and never lets me open the car door by myself.  I want a husband who is all these things and more. Because what else is a husband for?





Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this! There are so many references to the writing in class integrated throughout the piece and I liked your take on the end. You constructed a very sardonic tone as well with your use of sarcasm and satirical language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your version of the piece "I Want A Wife" that we read in class. It was very interesting to see the contrast of your take compared to the similar concept we both wrote about for our blogs. I really liked how you incorporated the sarcastic, stereotypical remarks of what a husband's role is supposed to be in variation of the wife's role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ingrid! I love how you really did a 180 with the piece we read in class. I like how you really mimicked the structure of the piece; you even used some of the same language (such as "of course"), so it made it really obvious that you were trying to create that same satirical, conversational, and frustrated tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually pretty surprised to see this kind of post because I was initially planning to use the same title. Though I did not use that title in the end, I find that this blog is a very good example of the opposite of “I Want A Wife”. It’s very well written and I enjoyed reading it. I also liked the last line on this blog. It really degrades the status of a husband which is exactly what happens to a wife in “I Want A Wife”. This blog does a good job of showing the same story in the other perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He Love Me, He Loves Me Not

Acknowledgments

4 Reasons Why People Hate Poetry